Monday, February 6, 2023

Pangasinan language abounds in synonyms

I really love Pangasinan language. The members of the Municipal Museum team, one day, were discussing how a painting should be framed properly when someone used the word lapok-lapok to explain a problem with one painting at the Museum: it wasn't framed properly, so the canvas was flapping or something. 

I was listening intently when I heard several synonyms in a row, a few seconds after another, as everyone got to explain or ask further about the problem more clearly. 

From the exchange, I heard linmundo, then linmaylay and alaylay, and then linmuslos and aluslos. And I think I heard at least one more synonym or two. 

What a rich language we have! Pangasinan language really abounds in synonyms. Or, it revels in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment